Sunday, February 6, 2011

Canine Stereotyping?

Last summer, Jonathan and I spent more hours than I'd care to count watching episodes of Dogs 101. After awhile, I began to think that the phrase "breed characteristics" was the canine equivalent of "stereotyping." I thought that people might buy into these characteristics a little too much, and dogs lived up to their self-fulfilling prophesies as a result.

But breed characteristics are the real deal. And, for all of the biological reasons involved, they ought to be. 

Before we took Jack in, I knew very little about Border-Collie characteristics. In fact, I knew only what I saw on Dogs 101. Looking back at this episode now, I see that Jack, who is part Border Collie, part who-knows-what, has lived up to every one of these characteristics—good and bad. When I saw this episode during the summer, I remember thinking I never wanted one of those menaces. Now all I want is a farm full of them. 

1 comment:

  1. wow. i see a lot of Lexi there.

    She even gives Buckley the EYE before she pounces him!!

    I often wondered too if "breed characteristics" led to stereotyping, but they are a bit different... breed characteristics are definitely the real deal. The dog can't deny whats in their blood.

    Even Buckley the beagle mix... stubborn dog whose nose is ALWAYS to the ground.

    Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete